I always wanted a scoop on my Fury but it had to big a BIG scoop. You don’t often see a hoodscoop on a C-Body Mopar, as they are mostly made for B and A bodies. And since they are smaller than a C Body, the scoops are just abit too small and don’t look right on a C in my opinion.
Basicly a big spoiler pic, as this is the final result.
I like the big HEMI scoop the most as its big and mean lookin’, but I don’t like the fact that they are all fiberglass. I know thats a factory standard but I would rather see an all steel version. So I decided to make me an all steel HEMI hoodscoop.
O wait, I just told you that I liked the HEMI hoodscoop the most but what I like even more is an Airgrabber!
But these are all made for B bodies and an expensive, hard to find piece. But even if I found one, in my opinion its way to small. My first impulse when starting this idea, was to design a similar Airgrabber design but much, much bigger. And the longer I thought it, even more difficult it because to design such a thing from scrath.
So back to the HEMI scoop. I bought a thin piece of steel plating and made a rough prototype to see how it would look, and if I was able to make it. After all, I’m no metalworker and never worked with steel on this level.
I placed the prototype on the hood and I was blown away! It looked sooo damn cool! Now I had to make it and it could not be unseen.
I looked for months to find me a nice 72 hood in the States and just when I was about to give it up, I found one in Belgium. It had no damage and was in a overall very good shape, so I bought it right away for a very fair price. I bought 1.5mm steel plating instead of the 0.8 mm steel that I used for the prototype, that I bended and hammered into the HEMI scoop shape and after alot of test fitting, cursing and experimenting with various tools, I made a nice looking HEMI type of hoodscoop that I was satified with.
I also wanted a seam in the middle but that turned out to be quite a challenge and made several vices, steel rods and presses but at the end, it just came down to some old fashion beatings with a hammer.
The seam was perfect and it was time to cut a hole in that donor hood I just bought. To be honest, it didnt felt right to put a grinder on that hood, which took me so long to find, but I was on a mission here. So I took the jigsaw, and cut it!
I welded the scoop onto the hood and made some vertical steel rods to support the scoop, which turned out nice. After that, I removed a surface rust from the back side of the hood and completely sanded the entire hood. Then I spray painted everything and did alot of touchup with a dry brush to match it with the color of the car. I installed some rubber lining to finish it of.
The hoodscoop turned out great and I learned alot from it. I improved my welding skills and did learned new tricks on how to manipulate metal, which will come in handy.
CHECK OUT MY VIDEO
Alot more was going on then just these simple steps. See for yourself!