About a year ago, I custom fabricated a new console for the Fury to go along with the B&M Megashifter.
Check THIS blogpost for reference.
It came out quite ok and I really liked the result but in that design, there was no armrest nor any cupholders. I drive quite often so after a year, I started to missed these things a lot.
So I decided to take out the entire console again, scrap it and start with a new design.
Removed the entire old console and cut away the carpet
I cut the carpet away in a straight line in the middle so I could pinpoint and measure the dimensions of the console I was gonna build.
Started out with cutting a square 7×7 cm hole for the shifter cable and positioned the base of the B&M shifter in such a way that I could operated it comfortably while sitting in the driver seat. I made some steel brackets to support the four shifter bolts and welded the shifter onto the body of the car to make sure it won’t come loose.
After the shifter was attached and in place, I cut a steel baseplate to form the base of my new armrest. I bought a Ford Focus rear seat console as that one fitted nicely between both seats and removed the integrated cupholders to fit my switch panel in.
Custom made a bracket to fit in the cupholder space from the armrest to support my switchpanel and added an engine start button to it.
After wiring the switch box up, I placed the armrest with switch box between the seats onto the baseplate and it was a perfect fit! Both seats still moved back and forth the full motion without any rubbing so the armrest was perfect inline.
With both the shifter and the armrest in place, I had about 30cm of space between them. That would be the spot for the custom cupholders, engine kill switch and the handbrake. Yes, a handbrake! When I installed my new 8.75 axel with disc brakes, I want to operate the rear brakes with the brake handle for some serious drifting.
Besides that, brake that handle would be killer lookin’ sitting next to the B&M shifter.
I fabricated the main construction out of steel, drilled both holes for the cupholder, place the engine kill switch and made a baseplate for the handbrake lever. Installed everything, spray painted it black en placed it into position.
The end result is awesome in my opinion and all components merge into this great looking mid console. I have a large storage compartment when I open up the armrest lid, the B&M shifter is at the right position.
I finally have cupholders and that handbrake handle looks killer!